Thursday, March 10, 2005

I was right...

I quote myself from August 16, 2004... "Someday I'll look back on this project and think one of 2 things… 1) WOW, that was a job well done… or 2) WOW that job would have been much easier to get done well if I didn't always insist on making my stories so damn complicated.

I was almost totally right. How FREAKIN annoying!!!! That was MEANT to be funny. You know... like if I'd said, wouldn't it be FUNNY if I made a 6 minute cartoon that was so damn complicated that I'd need to write 23 versions of the script, make 19 detailed and different animatics in order to nearly go blind by drawing almost 7500 drawings, then scanning about 3200 of them, then colouring them all in (individually), so I could composite them in a bunch of software I don't really know how to use. Course, that would only take me literally 20 - 22 hours a day for several months, so I thought "HEY!... Let's make this interesting, I'll write 6 minutes of dialogue (trimmed down from 9 mins), requiring voice talent to audition and be available for several recording sessions each!"

No problem!... while I'm at it, I'll drink about 2 litres of coffee every day, spend all my waking hours wondering why I can't sleep and then have nightmares about talking hamburgers. If I follow this plan EXACTLY, I should get this done easily. I might even go to fiji for a week, just for laughs...

In the end I was torn between calling the film. "ELIMINATE DR SANDWICH" or "How I became a strange jittery hermit like guy and all I have to show for it is this lousy cartoon..." The first one was easier to say in one breath, so I stuck with it.

I awoke the morning after the screening on the sound booth floor, in only my australia flag boxer shorts, still very drunk. Several hours later, when I was sure no-one had any photos of me in my severely alcohol induced slumber, I started talking out loud to myself. I WAS trying to talk to other people, but as I wasn't making any sense, nobody was really listening. The world seemed very strange that day. The last inklings of 18 weeks of blood, sweat, tears and coffee faded quietly into my head. I took a breath and thought... "Ah crap, I don't think I've written in my blog since August'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home